Tuesday 1 September 2009

Day 18 Thank God for that!

15st 0lb. Hallelujah! I did it! It has spurred me on to be really good today in the hope of nipping under the 15st mark (well obviously not just today, but for the REST OF MY LIFE!).

Last night I had a lovely surprise in that a friend from school days (with whom I have kept in regular touch but haven't spoken to for a few months) phoned to say she had been reading my blog. Basically, reading between the lines, she couldn't believe how fat I am now and said I eat too much bread. She has a point. I said last week that I was going to cut down on my bread consumption but I haven't really. It's so convenient and if I'm in a hurry, it's the meal of choice. Anyway, I raided the bottom drawers of the fridge and made some soup - onions, sweet potato, butternut squash, carrots, fresh beetroot and added some tomatoes and red lentils as well as an organic veggie stock cube, some fresh thyme and loads of black pepper. I put a teaspoon of olive oil in to get the onions softened and then put the whole lot in together. I had it for lunch (without bread) and for supper. It is delicious and I must make more soups - the children love them for a start. I'm going to make a hearty one next with pearl barley - I'll keep you informed. So, I really am going to try to cut down on bread. In "Fat Girl Slim" by Ruth Watson, she has the same love of bread as I do. She got round it by having her dedicated bread day, once a month, when she could make and eat whatever bread she liked so that she could, in her words, "enjoy, indeed luxuriate, in the pleasure of eating something I adore without suffering any pangs of guilt or remorse". Sounds good to me!

Tomorrow I need help. I am judging the produce section at Muker Show and, apparently, they have lots of entries. Bread, sponge cake, fruit cake, fruit pies, scones - you name it, I have to try it....many times over! I wonder if they would provide a spit bucket like they do for wine? It will play havoc with my resolve - which is very resolved at the moment! I shall report how I got on.

E xx

PS Saw photo of Fern Britton getting out of the surf in a wet suit looking bloody good for over 50 and in such an unforgiving garment! Could never have a gastric band myself (too poor; too much of a whimp) but I really admire her for taking the bull by the horns and admitting that, although a very attractive fat woman, not a happy one, after all. Must have been hard work putting a brave, smiling face on it for all those years. Well done Fern.

1 comment:

  1. Mutual friend Bev told me about your site - I love it! I was very fed up when, after a day of extreme self discipline, and feeling very thin (I love measuring a day in what I DIDN'T eat but quite wanted to!) I ended up over indulging on wine and pizza that evening... Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete