Thursday 10 September 2009

Exercise is the future!

Wot, no weight? Ha, ha, a day off (for getting on the scales, not being a very good girl!).

Well, I have a confession to make. Having avoided any form of sport at all costs, even as "skinny liz" when at school, I have discovered a passion for tennis. I have loved watching Wimbledon for many years, but watching is as far as it went. Admittedly, I have only played three times so far, but, I have a feeling this enthusiasm will stick. I went down to the tennis group this morning, on a gloriously sunny morning which has been incredibly rare this year, feeling full of the joys of spring (autumn?) but a little apprehensive that I was about to make a bit of a fool of myself. However, in for a penny, in for a pound and anyway, I've already gone so far down the road of self-humiliation, that a little further isn't going to harm. I need not have worried - they were very welcoming and I think that once I get over the habit of saying "whoops, sorry" everytime I make a mistake (frequently!), I will settle down and enjoy it. It really lifts your mood and I felt good all day.

I had book club at my house tonight. Due to the unseasonably delightful weather, I have been washing as if I run the neighbourhood laundry - never has the machine been in such constant demand. I am waiting for one load to dry on the line, just so I can put the next lot out. The downside of this is that I don't think there can be an item of clothing in a drawer in this house - there are piles of ruddy clothes everywhere, waiting to be put in drawers. I wonder if I am alone in having children who seem incapable of putting any of it away for me but always want the trousers/shirt etc off the bottom of the pile and get to them by tipping the rest of it over. I think they are sick of "I don't know why I bother" which is my daily refrain. However, I am feeling smug as everyone in this house is going to bed in clean, line-dried, ironed bedding tonight - is there a better smell? (bread fresh from the oven, cakes, roses, sweet peas....ok, there is, but it's right up there with the best!)

Trying to present a vaguely tidy front in a very small house with too many people in it is challenging, I can tell you. Providing food is never a problem for me but a tidy house is another matter - thankfully they are an accommodating lot. For food, I made homemade pizza and salad, followed by fresh fruit salad and yoghurt or cream. Pizza, I hear you cry! Yes but, if you make it yourself, you can control the amount of oil and salt going in and it need not be a bad treat at all (yes, I know it's bread but I haven't had any for ages). All in all, I've eaten too much pizza but otherwise not bad. Twice today I have been tempted to eat chocolate and twice, without too much arguing between the devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other, I have resisted - result!

Friday tomorrow so I'll get on the scales. I do deserve a pound......

E xx

1 comment:

  1. indeed you do deserve a pound - or three - wouldnt that be nice. the tennis sounds wonderful fun. after netball it was my favourite. only stayed up to wait for your blog - you must keep it going, it is the highlight of my day. tiny white lie [is that politically correct]but fairly close. If you like fish then I find that smoked mackerel is brilliant tossed in bit of tomato and salad for lunch. tasty, filling and high protein - good for your joints too. lul jen x

    ReplyDelete