Sunday 8 November 2009

Time to come out of the closet!







I haven't done a Serious Subject Sunday for a while but before I do, I'll just insert a few pictures from my walk this afternoon - it was a right good bounder and boy, did I feel good afterwards. It was a fairly, but not dazzlingly, sunny day and the leaves are all but gone but still, I got some reasonable shots to show you how fortunate I am to live where I do.
This week a couple of you have asked what is this business with church? I mention it infrequently in my blogs as it isn't actually relevant to my blogging (although my pleading with the Almighty for progress with weight loss is a reality!). It is private and I rarely mention it in my life or bring it into conversation as, more often than not, it would be met with an uncomfortable, slightly embarrassed silence - which doesn't make me a very good disciple, does it?! I am certainly not someone who is about to lay my hand on your arm and say that all your troubles will be fine if you love Jesus as he loves you - oh no, I would be grossly uncomfortable if someone did as much to me. So, it's time to discuss my faith but please don't switch off - I'm not about to preach, attempt to convert you or say anything offensive - I just think it's time to explain how I am.
I am a Christian. I attend our village church every week unless I really can't make it. I am on our Parochial Church Council and am a church warden. More to the point, I love it.
There. Said it. Not too difficult.
I suppose I have always enjoyed church. I went to boarding school where a church service was a daily event and where, in my case, a true love of church music was deeply ingrained. My Uncle sang in the Polperro Fisherman's Choir for as long as I can remember and, even as a very young child, I loved to hear them sing and was terribly proud of him - I would challenge anyone not to be moved by the beauty of a well trained male voice choir. As a person who appreciates architecture, church buildings themselves are usually a magnificent centrepiece, especially in a small village such as ours.
I do not believe that you need to go to church to live a Christian life but, for me, it gives a rhythm to my Sunday that re centres my life and focuses my thoughts. I enjoy the format, the singing, the thoughts and prayers, the time out from a busy life. I have never made my children come with me and none of them choose to. I certainly don't think you need to go to church to be a part of the community as there are many very active, productive members of our community who never set foot over the threshold. However, for me, I enjoy the challenge of involving people indirectly in the church through such activities as making bread with the children for Harvest Festival, the Christmas Tree Festival, Fairtrade suppers, curry nights for an Indian orphanage - and much more.
As I have already said, I am fortunate to live where I do. I look around every day and see what is, for me, the stunning beauty of God's creation. I do not believe that these hills and Dales are made by man, the Big Bang or anything else. However, I am not so naive that I do not question whether my faith would be so strong if I cradled a child dying of starvation in an African Aid camp or stood in a village wiped out by a natural disaster, or even if I lived in a run down estate in one of our own more deprived cities. I live with a faith that is partially wrapped in cotton wool, protected and not hugely challenged.
I do believe that if we try to live more generous lives, the world would be a better place - if we showed more love, trust, respect and tolerance of others opinions. If we all showed small acts of kindness to someone outside our own home, the world would be a better place very quickly.
I am far from perfect. I am twice divorced; swear far too much; suffer road rage on an almost daily basis; have behaved in a far from Christian manner on many, many occasions; have hurt people whom I profess to love; have let people down ..... and many more.
This blog session feels as revealing as participating in "How to look good naked" - perish the thought! Back to full dress tomorrow.
E xx
PS I do know that the prayer line to God does not help weight loss!



1 comment:

  1. You are too hard on yourself - who's perfect? I whinge too much and should have more trust in people. We do the best we can. I went to a Convent school for 11 years. People look at me real strange when i tell them that but I enjoyed every moment in the all girls school. We never had to be jealous over boys cos there were none around, and we still grew up normal. As to weight loss, God likes us the way we are, that's why he is not interfering!

    ReplyDelete