Thursday 12 November 2009

Keep on running!

Weigh in tomorrow and I am hopeful. I am right "in the zone" and feeling full of beans.

I went out early today as the sky is blue, the sun is high in the sky....but it's due to bucket down by this afternoon. I had no Lucy as she has gone shooting for the day (she's a gun dog) - it is not the same walking without the pup scampering along side. However, I did the long walk and, in spite of what I said a couple of days ago, I am improving - I might still be red and puffing but I think my recovery time is less. Anyway, I got to the top of the Gill and decided to jog down as much as I could. I managed 20 x 10 steps first, then 30 x 10 steps, then 20 again - well up on yesterday. I was gasping like a monkfish out of water (you know, the one with the big mouth and fat tail) by the bottom but I was still standing and hadn't wet myself - the sense of achievement was fantastic. The most surprising and encouraging thing is that my knee is holding out and I am not aching. As I run I feel my buttocks bouncing and know that it is doing some good!

I am becoming like a reformed smoker - the ones who tut at smokers in a condescending manner with a "if I can give up, you can" kind of way. Really irritating. The reason I say this is that yesterday, I was in Northallerton after the hospital and went to Costa coffee for a skinny latte and the most revolting "healthy living" <300 calories tuna sandwich you could find (I didn't eat it, complained and didn't get my money back - not pleased). As I sat, with nothing to read, I watched people coming and going as you do. A lady came in with her husband, told him what she wanted and went to sit down. She was about my age, extremely pretty and attractively dressed. However, she was also very fat, out of breath and walking with a stick. She smiled over and I smiled back. Her husband came with her lunch - a hot panini with cheese melting out of it, a large latte and a pastry. Now, for all I know, she had had an operation on her leg and needed a stick but I suspect, like me, her problems with her legs are exacerbated by her weight. As I have said before, we cannot expect our knees, hips and ankles to support excessive weight without problems. I had to fight the urge to go over to her and ask her to join my quest to improve our lives, not just for now, but for many, many more mobile years to come. I am along way off the end of the road to better health - but at least I am on it. I am obviously not on the motorway but the B roads. It's not pomposity that makes me want to go to her, it's genuine desire to make her more comfortable. You'll be relieved to know that I didn't.

Well, lots to do today. Done the ironing and washing. Going to wash kitchen floor and muck out downstairs loo - I am sure we don't wear half of the shoes in there. Then I am going to write my CV - yes, I am. Then I am going to consider where on earth I should send it. What do I want to do with this life of mine? I just don't know.

Now, there's that barn at the top of the hill. Would the farm give it up to be a cookery school...............................? It's those darn fairies again!

E xx

No comments:

Post a Comment