Wednesday 14 October 2009

off for a few days

14st 5lb. Weighed myself today, partly to check and partly as I am off to Cornwall tomorrow until Sunday. The rest of the family couldn't survive without the computer so I'll be out of range for the time.

I am going to see my Mum who is looking after my Granny as she is ill. I adore my Granny. She is beautiful, petite (is now a little bird) and has the softest, downiest skin - I used to love to stroke her face as a little girl. However, she is my worst critic. I remember, many years ago, going down to see my great uncle (her brother) who was in the very latter stages of bowel cancer - I hadn't announced I was coming and when I walked through the door, without even saying hello, she said with her lovely Cornish lilt, "oh my dear, you've put so much weight on your face". I retorted with, "I've put a lot on my bottom as well, if you care to look!" Sadly, she is very poorly and frail and, with luck, will simply be pleased to see me and not have the inclination to judge!

Now usually a trip to Polperro means a trip to Looe for warm, just out of the oven, proper Cornish pasties. It's the smell. Believe me, on a clear cold day there is nothing better than sitting on a beach listening to the rhythmic beat of the waves against the beach, pasties warming your hands, just quietly in tune with nature. As children we would run off to explore the rock pools looking for shannies and crabs; search for hours on the beach for my favourite shells (cowries); dig at the top of the beach until we reached water and then tunnel a trench down to the water's edge. At the end of it all, we would run back to Granny and her basket of goodies and tuck into a pasty before setting off to start all over again. Happy days!

This time, no pasties. No pillowy soft splits (little white bread buns) with Gran's raspberry jam and clotted cream. Mum & I are both dieting and have promised not to mislead each other. She has however, arranged a fresh crab salad at the wonderful restaurant across the road ("The Kitchen" if you're ever in Polperro - simply the best!) which will be a perfect Cornish treat.

I will plan for the journey with fruit and a sandwich. I will fill the car with petrol so there is no need for a service station stop. Car journeys are so boring and the temptation to eat is so strong. I will resist. I will report a loss on Monday when I get back.

The cliff path is calling me for some bracing walks!

E xx

No comments:

Post a Comment