Wednesday 27 January 2010

stress and diets don't mix

Well, it was my first day as a full timer and it felt rather strange, but nicely so, to think that I am now a "normal" person for the first time in years - going off to work to the same place every morning, working for someone else and, most importantly, I will be earning a wage on a regular basis. I am really excited about this new chapter.

Anyway, I got off to a great start and had a stimulating, interesting and informative day. On the diet front (which I am sure is going to be good) I had porridge (the usual - made with water, mixed seeds and brown sugar added at the end but today I sweetened with 2 chopped up dates instead) for breakfast, a really unpleasant Weight Watchers pasta bake for lunch (rushing out of house without having made soup) and there was a chicken ready in the "on timer" oven when I got in from work. The children had peeled veg and got them started so, within 1/2 hour of walking in the door, we were all around the table with a roast dinner and a happy, chatty mood. I had a pear for pudding. All going well.

Then came a challenging telephone conversation, the details of which are irrelevant but, suffice to say, I came off the phone feeling a level of stress and frustration that has been unfamiliar of late. I immediately felt the urge to eat sugar - if there had been a box of chocs left from Christmas, I would have devoured them at one sitting. As it was, I had a slice of toast with a thin slither of butter and a sprinkle of sugar. WHAT!!! I know. What is it about misery/stress/anger that makes me reach for sweetness? There must be a reason. Not just psychological. It's physical need. Is it chemical? Why don't I feel the urge to punch something instead (a legitimate punchbag, not a partner or the dog!). I don't know but my conclusion is that one slice of toast isn't the end of the world, just avoid stressful phone calls in future!

So, tidy clothes and a positive smile again tomorrow! I love my job!!!

E xx
PS Well aware that there is a little batch of numbers missing from the top left hand corner of this blog - will dust down the scales soon but I know by my waist band, that it's not good enough to face the scales yet

2 comments:

  1. I think reaching for something sweet at times of stress is a female thing. I tend to reach for my extensive and colourful vocabulary of swear words. You do realise that by not revealing details of the phone call anyone reading this who spoke to you this week (like me) will be thinking it was them who caused your rage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I feel like that too. I do have a bar of snickers now and then just to stop the urges of sugar build up. After the Snickers, i feel pretty good and stick to my diets well

    ReplyDelete